Saturday, October 9, 2010

City of Joy

Anybody who has read Dominique Lapierre's 'City of Joy' knows how ironic the title is. So, I leave with a few pictures and a few words...


Outside Kalighat Temple. What does Kali prefer?
Cycle-rickshaw is lifeline to the dingy lanes of the city
More people, more deaths, outside Kalighat Temple
To board or not to board? (Local train which carries millions of people in a day)
Itchy ear in Rajdhani Express
Howrah Station, one of the most notorious places in the city
This blog would be incomplete without the mention of the 'queer theory'. I suggest you google
Parents have their way of putting the kids to SLEEP!
You don't need to go inside the temple to get a glimpse of Kali, it's everywhere in the city

4 comments:

  1. Some fun you've been having!
    What is the queer theory, in relation to you/Kolkata?
    Also, any luck with queerhouse hunting in Delhi?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I gave a talk in a MA (English) class on the experience I had when I visited the gay house that day. The class was called New Gender Studies. They call these groups - homos n all- queer groups.. Hence the name 'queer' and my picture of a flying kiss :p

    I visited a shady place - Kalighat in search of such places but didnt find any. I saw barely clad ladies inside the house with open windows... Didnt get any shots... Unlucky for the second time but will try to go again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you have ever stayed in calcutta and have only visited it for short spans as otherwise you would have truly understood why it is called the city of joy in the right sense. It is not at all an ironical name or a misnomer. It really is what it is called.
    -Sandeep Ghosh,
    (living in Bangalore for the last 7 years but grew up in Kolkata)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your observation is right and I do agree that I know very little. It's true for almost every Indian city. At first glance, all of them look very gloomy.
    It's amazing how the city provides livelihood to so many people, the refugees and cross borders as well.
    I would like to explore more the next time... Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete