Saturday, December 11, 2010

Sai - My friend from Indo-Pak border

Sai
It was one of those perfect days. I was strolling in Nehru Park, thinking most of the time and talking to my friend, occasionally. It's early winter and the Sun is a blessing. Thankfully, it was shining bright and we were bathing in it with our bag serving as a pillow.

An old Kashmiri man came a lied down beside us. I looked at him and he gave me a big smile. The smile's what caught my attention. He had just one tooth left in his upper jaw!

I tried diverting my mind away from him but just couldn't. So, I went and sat beside him and started talking. This blog is dedicated to him, Sai.

Sai, his five brothers and their mother lived in a small village in Kashmir called Rajouri. No, you won't find it in Google Maps because it just doesn't exit in the diplomatic world! In August 1947, their life changed for ever. They were driven out of their village because it lied on the other side of the border (in India) and were taken to Pakistan as they were Muslims. In Pakistan, Jinnah promised that they will be sent back as soon as possible but like many of his promises, it was never fulfilled. After 5 years of waiting, they fled and crossed the border, illegally. All 6 of them survived! 


But in 1965, terror struck them again. During the 1965 Indo-Pak war, all his four brothers fled to Pakistan. Sai went to live with his wife's family, who was hindu, and survived the war. 

Today, he came seeking Pakistani visa so that he can go visit two of his brothers. The other two have already passed away. He has seen them only four times since 1965 during his previous visits to Pakistan in 1985, '86, '95 and 2005.

When I asked him if he wishes to go live in Pakistan, he got offended and said - 'Hindustaan hi hamaara mulk hai (India is my own country). This country is very liberal. Everyone has the right to follow his own religion. In Pakistan, the Hindus were forced to convert their religion, so were the Sikhs.'

We talked about America, Afghanistan, Allah (God), Delhi, Islamabad. My friend had also visited Islamabad twice. Their descriptions were so vivid that I felt as if I were already in Pakistan.

I had so many questions- what did he do for a living, how was life during Kargil war but it was time for lunch and our stomachs roared for mercy.

And did I mention that it was my friend's birthday. It's a wonderful way to celebrate. Don't you think so?

Sai smiling at me as I turned towards his side. It was such a welcoming smile that I couldn't help but talk to him. 

Sai with his friend, Farooq. He says, "No matter what a person does in this life, he has to die one day and has to pay the price in front of Allah"

Love is all we want to spread! Nehru Park boasts of several such sights.
Just see one as India and the other, Pakistan.

No comments:

Post a Comment